Background

Tuesday 15 May 2012

Chaz Royal's Burlesque Newbie Award

So I wanted more of an insight into the competition I faced in the world of Burlesque. I've seen shows before but being a 'Newbie' myself, I thought it was important to see what I would have to do. I took my friend along (Rebecca Tan) as she has also had an interest in burlesque and she's knows her stuff. If i could, I'd always have her with me as she knows what to look for, if its from photography to dancing, which is important in this art.
A bit about the event. Every year for the past 6yrs, a week long event happens in London all to do with burlesque. Lots of different categories to cover the whole spectrum to celebrate and enjoy this wonderful art. I attended the newbie award & believe me, if i lived in London, I would have been to every show possible. In this particular category, a dozen or so girls showcased their acts to a room full of ladies & gents and judges who marked them (not much was mentioned about what they're marked on or out of what but at a guess, I'm thinking performance, originality, audience reaction, costume to name a few). Then a third, second & winner place is announced. Again, it wasn't said exactly what they won apart from a certificate BUT the fabulous host KiKi Kaboom was a winner three years ago and I saw the last two winners in a show in November 'An Evening of Burlesque'. That speaks for itself really!!
So to the good stuff. There was soooo much variety between these girls it was amazing to see. Each girl was different to the next which was so refreshing to see. Obviously, there were acts I enjoyed more then others but I know I have my work cut out in someway. Event the costumes were perfect. But i know I could bring something to the Burlesque world!
It was great to watch it as I was able to take elements I liked from each act and can use it towards what I want to do. From what I saw, the judges liked singers as third & first place sung, but with something unique. Third place was dressed as a lady from Second World War singing a patriotic song, Second danced with fire (really hot!) and the winner was a stewardess.
There is still lots to think about....I'm still unsure about my name, as I want something cheeky & fun, yet glamorous. Costumes, I think i need to get my sewing fingers on to make some beautiful things. Music, nothing to obscure that the audience can't react to yet something not so obvious. Gimmick is important, but i've got quite a few interests that i could incorporate. As you can see lots to think about and if i'm wanting to be up there competing next year, i've got alot to do & experiences to have.

1 comment: