Background

Wednesday 30 May 2012

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger ~ Group Audition

Yet again I was in London but this time it was to audition for a burlesque group. 

I am a member of Starnow and even though there isn't always great stuff on there, I like to keep an eye out because...you never know. Last week I saw this post....A guy (lets call him Mr L.A) who used to live in L.A did burlesque acts & has moved over here to put a group of 5 girls together to do a act that could eventually tour (this is what I got from the post). So obviously, I applied. Thought it was a good way to get experience and it could maybe lead to something bigger & better. 

I was pleased to know I had been successful for the audition. I got an email & call to confirm this. Whilst Mr L.A was on the phone he explained a little bit about the project, what would happen in the audition & I had to prepare a 1-2 minute piece. He did mention it wouldn't be typical Burlesque, but when something is advertised Burlesque I still expected it.

So, preparing my piece. Because I teach a Burlesque "Fitness" class (well being a dancer, I have to incorporate routines into it) I decided to do a routine I had already choreographed. Mr L.A said it didn't need to be Burlesque but I thought it was the logical choice. The routine I chose to do was 'Sexy Silk' by Jessica Cornish, what I call a spotlight routine as it is a static/standing in a spotlight (not much sideway movements). I will be recording this routine so you can all see this in future. Me & my ladies LOVE this routine so I had to do it.

Day of the audition, I must admit I woke up late so had to rush around to get all my stuff together. But i did a classic pin up look with my make up (something again I will record in future). Its amazing what some red lipstick can do, I did get looks as I may have looked a bit Glam, but its better to be noticed & stand out! I also did red nails with white poka dots...LUSH!!


Probably not the best picture of me, but just so you get the idea!!

Audition time came. Seriously, the room the audition was in was TINY!!! Not much bigger then my living room & there was about 12-15 people to fit in AND dance. I decided to go for a Burlesque look too, suspender tights, hot pants & a red boob tube toped off with a waspie (which I used in my routine). Again, not the best angle but there were no full length mirrors!


Mr L.A explained about what the project was.....NOTHING to do with burlesque. He said that usually Burlesque dancers can't dance and he wanted to do something different/cutting edge. If you've seen Cabaret with Liza Minelli....More like that! The story hadn't been created and it would revolve/created around the dancers chosen. There would be 3 group dances, One solo per character & other variety acts. So from the start, it wasn't what was advertised.

The routine was choreographed by the choreographer/assistant director, AKA his Right Hand Man (but a girl). The RHM said she wasn't given much time to do the routine and it appeared like it was thrown together, it wasn't taught very well and it confused us all. It was taught in about 5 minutes and we performed it for them once, I'm not sure how they saw me as I was on the back & the lines weren't swopped.

So I thought I'd wow them with my routine. I thought it went really well & the comment I got was 'So you've obviously done Burlesque?!'....Well yeh! We had a little chat after and they clearly didn't look at my profile as details like my age, where I'm from were asked & shock horror I travelled from Peterborough to London for an audition!!!!

I would have heard by now if I got it, just a shame they don't bother to tell unsuccessful applicants after taking the time to go. I am not bothered, don't get me wrong it would have been great to get it or something like it but it wasn't Burlesque which is what my quest is all about. I know in myself that I did well & if it was Burlesque, I would of had a shot.....Oh well, what doesn't kill you makes you stonger!!

No comments:

Post a Comment